People tend to trust doctors and pharmaceutical companies, and sometimes this trust is misplaced. The incompetence or carelessness of medical practitioners can result in harm to a child. According to the website of The Driscoll Firm, children born with birth defects often face significant challenges their entire lives. The tragedy is that it was preventable if the responsible parties had observed proper standards of care.

The same could be said for drug manufacturers. Prescription medications are often associated with side effects that can be dangerous to the patients or, in the case of pregnant women, to their offspring. This is why the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) require drug companies to inform the public and the medical community about possible risks, no matter how remote, that a product may pose to patients. The failure to adequately warn can make them liable for the consequences. A good example of this is Benicar (olmesartan medoxomil).

Benicar is an antihypertensive drug developed by Daiichi Sankyo, a Japanese pharmaceutical company. Forest Labs started promoting it aggressively in the US in 2002 as a safe and efficacious effective drug. However, a Mayo Clinic Proceedings report published in 2012 strongly indicated that Benicar could be causing a condition called sprue-like (mimicking the symptoms of celiac sprue, or celiac disease) enteropathy in patients. True celiac sprue sufferers could manage the disorder by avoiding gluten in food, but not those suffering from sprue-like enteropathy. The condition of patients, with an average age of 69, that stopped taking Benicar improved, but some had suffered permanent damage.

Because Daiichi Sankyo and Forest Labs neglected to warn doctors and patients about this side effect, personal injury lawsuit lawyers filed the first cases in February 2014. New cases are being filed all the time, the latest of which was filed in California on behalf of two male patients who developed sprue-like enteropathy.

If you suffered preventable injuries caused by medical dangers due to the negligence or carelessness of a third party, you have a right to compensation. Contact the appropriate personal injury lawyer in your state to assess your case.